Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Just Want to Smoke...

When I woke up late yesterday morning I knew it was going to be a long day. On top of snoozing for 40 minutes, it was dark outside...the first morning of daylight savings, blah! I manage to sprint through my morning ritual with enough time to buy some cigarettes and still be on time for work. As I usually do, I go into the Circle K ready to buy my smokes for the day, except this time I had a $5.00 bill, I never carry cash. Finally, it's my turn in line. I tell the clerk, "One box of Marlboro Ultra Lights please" she rings up my purchase and says "$6.00" to which I replied, "what? have you bumped your head?" She proceeds to tell me cigarettes have gone up due to some new tax hike and she points to the sign at the register. Of course, I am very irritated with this, and I didn't pay any attention to the sign. The rest of the day is spent texting and bitching to anyone that will listen about the outrageous price I have just paid for 20 cigarettes, of which I smoked every one that day, why save them!

This morning starts out quite the same way...late, dark, and foggy. Finally, I leave the house and decide to skip my normal stop at the Circle K and give the BP a try. Much to my dismay, the clerk rings up my cigarettes and says, "that will be $6.00" I look at the counter and there is that same sign that reads, Don't Blame Us....DAMNIT! Once I arrive at work, I ask the other smokers and their reply is the same, "yes, my cigarette brand has gone up too."

I guess now is as good a time as any to quit smoking, but my problem is, why wasn't I warned about this. No one I have talked to knew of this "Tax Hike." I think we as smokers should have been given fair warning that we were about to be bent over. I already can't smoke in some bars, and I'm ostracized to the back in most restaurants...couldn't I have been given the common courtesy to stock up?

1 comment: