Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Night of Twisted Visions

The Friday night of the last weekend of Mardi Gras in Mobile has always been the night of The Krewe. The parading society, Krewe of Columbus, rolled through downtown last night and what a night it was. Our evening started out with much confusion and lots of begging. You see, many of us also celebrated Mardi Gras into the wee hours of Thursday night, and then on to work bright and early Friday morning. However, being the loyal patrons of Mardi Gras that we are, I rallied the troops and we had found a sweet parking place by 5:15pm! As we are dragging ourselves into our favorite Mardi Gras hangout, JS, GB, and myself popped open our first beer, which was the beginning of a wonderful night!

As always, the parade was great...marching bands, plenty of throws, and gorgeous floats lined the streets. Once the parade finally ended, we had decided this was going to be an early night so we could really enjoy the last weekend of Mardi Gras. However, we had to make one stop before heading home...to go see GB's brother before he went to the ball for the evening. The time finally came for GB's brother and his buddies to go to the ball, which meant it was time for the 3 of us to go home and get some much needed rest...or was it?





We were having such a great time, we decided to stay for at least one more round. As we are finishing off what was supposed to be our "last drink" in walks Captain Morgan and his Morganettes! What luck the three of us agree...a great photo op for Olga! What I have learned over the last few weeks of toting Olga around and seeing every sign or scene as the perfect picture, it's really not that hard to convince someone to take a picture with a 38DD black lacey bra!



We finish our "last drink" and JS says, "It's still relatively early, we'll stay for a few more, plus, the show is getting ready to start!" Of course I agree with this plan, however, it took a little more coercing to get GB onboard. Now, we kept hearing random bits and pieces about "The Show" and being this wasn't a bar any of us had ever been to, we had no idea what kind of show to expect. Finally, after all the hype, the show finally begins. The show turns out to be great and we are having a blast with all of our new friends! As with any great show, there is always an intermission. The announcement is made, the show will start back up in a very short time and during the break, there will be a dance contest. Now, I am not, nor have I ever been any sort of a dancer, except when given liquid courage (which I had indulged in plenty of already). So, the 2 other contestants and myself danced our asses off. Hoping the crowd would cheer the loudest for me, I decided Olga was going to be my dance partner.


So we did our dance and there was a tie...me and contestant number 3! What??? I've just tied for first? Now, this isn't just any bar, this is an alternative lifestyle bar...so, to have a white girl tie for first place has to be a first! Well, being the competitor I am, I say to the emcee..."Let's have a dance off" She agrees and the evening still ended in a tie! Oh well, we'll always have the memories and rest assured I will be back...and I will win that contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment